In this blog post we will discuss the new 3M™ VHB™ GPH Series and if it is really able to replace more traditionally used fastening methods like screws, rivets and welds which have been used throughout varying industries for many years.
WHAT CAN THE NEW 3M™ VHB™ GPH SERIES OFFER?
Firstly, VHB GPH stands for very high bond, general purpose tape. It is currently available in 0.6mm, 1.1mm and 1.6mm thicknesses.
THE MAIN FEATURES OF THE 3M GPH SERIES ARE -
- It can adhere instantly to a broad range of substrates including - glass, metals, ABS plastics, polycarbonates and PVC
- It solves the challenges of temperature resistance and multi-material bonding
- Strong, permanent bonds to metals can be achieved, coupled with short-term temperature resistance of up to 230°C (making it ideal for applications like powder coating)
- Possible applications include - metal fabricated panel industries, sign and display and speciality vehicles to name a few
WHY DOES 3M VHB™ GPH TAPE PROVIDE A STRONG ALTERNATIVE TO MECHANICAL FASTERNING?
The high strength of the GPH series means that it is able to bond to many metal and also has the strength to replace screws, rivets and welds. As well as this it offers a range of other benefits when compared to mechanical fastenings, these include -
- It distributes stress over the entire bonded area which eliminates the stress often caused by mechanical fasteners to a single point or number of points on the substrate
- The GPH Series can bond differing materials to one another
- It bonds and seals simultaneously
- Using tape instead of other fasteners can improve appearance, as the tape is virtually invisible. This means no weld marks or heat spots etc.
- It reduces waste - if a mistake is made the substrate is often salvageable
- Reduces production time and aids productivity
- It is easy to use and store - minimal preparation is needed and there is no special requirements in terms of storage of solvents for example
- VHB tapes resist UV and weather damage, meaning they are a good fit for outdoor applications
If you have any questions about our 3M™ GPH tapes, get in touch with our friendly team on - 0844 4438 389 or by emailing - email@example.com.
Shop for 3M GPH tape online now at First Stop Packaging.