Why Use 3M™ VHB™ Tape?
3M™ VHB™ (Very High Bond) tapes offer outstanding performance and adhesive strength.
In many situations, they are able to offer a great alternative to traditional mechanical fixing methods such as rivets, bolts, screws and welding, this is because of its high strength, shock absorbing abilities and its ability to distribute stress evenly. These products can be used to bond plastics to metals to glass and more.
Other benefits of using a 3M™ VHB™ tape are –
- Its ability to provide virtually invisible bonds – using tape means that surfaces stay smooth and clean. They are more aesthetically pleasing than rivets and welds.
- Increased efficiency – significantly increase efficiency and reduce production times by using 3M™ VHB™ tape. The process of welding, drilling etc. can be time consuming in comparison to the straight forward and quick application of 3M™ VHB™ tapes.
- It's impressive sealing properties – 3M™ VHB™ tape is able to seal microscopic imperfections within the substrate. It is able to provide a seal against environmental conditions including water and UV light.
- 3M VHB tapes give high shear and peel adhesion, resistance to plasticizer migration, have excellent durability and excellent solvent and moisture resistance.
What are some of the industries that benefit most from using VHB™ tape?
- Signage – 3M™ VHB™ is used within the assembly of signs – where strength and reliability are key and also where stress levels need to be distributed evenly.
- Metal/ plastic fabrication – most popular for panel to frame bonding as an alternative to conventional mechanical fasteners providing a smooth and attractive finish. Hat channel attachment is another popular application where mechanical integrity is needed without cosmetic defects welds and rivets may add.
- Frame to face – 3M™ VHB™ tape is a virtually invisible fastening product. It provides an instant bond and assures ease of application. It also avoids expensive substrate waste created by cracking and damage caused by drilling.
Which 3M™ VHB™ Tapes are most suitable for use with what substrates?
49/59 VHB Ranges
These 3M™ VHB™ tapes provide excellent adhesion to a broad range of high and medium surface energy substrates. They can also bond varying substrates to each other with ease.
Good all round capabilities but particularly suited to heavy duty requirements, for critical bonding applications and specialised bonding requirements.
These VHB Tapes can be used with a wide range of materials, including –
- Composites (Dibond type materials)
- Most powder coated surfaces
The VHB RP range provides good adhesion to a variety of high and medium surface energy substrates. It also bonds varying substrates to one another. The VHB RP is suited to general purpose applications and is often the first choice for bonding most surfaces.
These surfaces can include –
- Most plastics
- Composites (Dibond type materials)
The new generation of 3M™ VHB™ Tape, GPH series, solves the challenges of multi material bonding, it has a high initial tack and is excellent for pre-powder coat bonding of metals due to it high temperature resistance. Will also bond plastics and composites.
What surface preparation is needed for the VHB?
Handling strength is achieved as soon as the substrates are assembled, 50% of strength is achieved in as little as 20 minutes. It will take around 24 -72 hours for it to reach its full strength
However, if subjected to heightened temperatures, the bond strength with increase at a quicker rate.
Do you have a question about VHB™ tapes? Get in touch with our team by emailing - firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling - 0844 4438 389.